The MBBI-Rotary International (MBB-RI) Working Group is a vehicle for advancing the common goals of both MBBI and Rotary International. The MBBI-RI Working Group aims:
- To build a working partnership between the two organizations at all levels – from the local club to the global leadership; and
- To promote common work in projects, advocacy initiatives and international meetings of both organizations.
Chair: Akinola Olawore, past Assistant Zone Coordinator, District 9110 and MBBI Board Member.
On a trajectory launched in a 2013 meeting in Istanbul with PRIP Luis Giay , MBBI – in conjunction with Rotary Clubs, Districts, and TRF – MBBI and Rotary have successfully partnered to conduct two International Training Institutes for women peacebuilders implemented through unique VTTs in Southeast Asia and the Andean Region; sign MOUs with clubs on three continents and with the Rotary Action Group for Peace (RAGFP); and attend & present at many Clubs, District Conferences, Zone Institutes, Peace Conferences and RI Conventions (including in 2016).
Below are synopses of further collaborations:
- Most MBBI’s members are also active Rotarians and hold positions of leadership in: Clubs, Districts, and international Rotary bodies such as the RAGFP and the ICC. There are others who are also Peace Fellow alumni. These MBB-RI peacebuilders have helped clubs and districts develop peace committees and action plans. In District 5280, the peace committee is holding a training lead by MBBI trainer/ Peace Fellow for Club Peace Chairs on how to conduct facilitation in their club of “difficult conversations” on such topics as human trafficking. MBBI has been requested to replicate this model in other Rotary Districts.
- MBBI developed a Peace Synergist volunteer position for Rotary Peace Fellows and other Rotarian peace builders as adjuncts to MBBI Project Teams and Working Groups. 10 Peace Synergists have been involved, with several playing leading roles in joint work.
- MBBI members have spoken about peace and conflict resolution/prevention at scores of Rotary clubs throughout the world. The presentation developed for these talks includes information on the history and current peacebuilding work in Rotary as well as MBBI’s complementary approach to its work.
- MBBI has delivered training for over 1000 Rotarians at breakout sessions during Rotary Conventions and Peace Conferences since 2014.