Rotary Working Group
Increasing the peacebuilding capacity of both organizations to advance the common goals of preventing, reducing, and healing conflicts in communities around the world.
Peace Conversation Faciliation
Helping Rotarians to engage in positive peace within their own clubs and communities through facilitated conversations and dialogue.
Rotary Global Grants
Supporting numerous Mediators Beyond Borders International projects around the world.
People of Action Building Peace
MBBI is proud to be one of only eight Official Service Partners of Rotary International because of a strong, shared commitment to global, grassroots and community-centered peacebuilding. To learn more about getting involved please contact us at email@example.com.
Opening Opportunities Together
MBBI’s global network of innovative practitioners help build Rotarian capacity to wage peace not just in the Area of Peace and Conflict Prevention, but in all Areas of Focus. See below for just a few ways to get involved.
Recent Rotary Convention Highlights
At the Rotary 2022 Convention in Houston, Texas, USA, MBBI was honored to present at four unique sessions, highlighting our deep connection with Rotary. Here are the details of each session
Community Mediation and Social Cohesion: Lessons from the US and Southern Africa
Destructive polarization is a problem threatening our communities and our clubs, and despite their geographic distance, there are similar patterns and root causes of polarization in the US and Southern Africa. We can rely on our shared values to build models for fostering social cohesion and positive peace in our clubs, communities and around the world.
Climate, Equity, and the Environment: Opportunities for Collaboration and Peacebuilding
A rapidly changing environment requires new ways of thinking and collaboration across disciplines. RI Service Partner, MBBI led an interactive discussion on how to raise awareness and design structures for effective consensus building to affect issues on inequality, resource management and environmental policy. This session was supported by the expertise of Luis Ore (Peru) , Anil Changaroth (Singapore) and Kathy Porter (Canada).
Building Capacity to Serve: Trauma Informed Peacebuilding in Ukraine
This interactive workshop discussed the role of trauma in the populations we serve and how to identify the impact of vicarious trauma in ourselves. MBBI and RAG for Peace- including leaders working in Ukraine- shared first-person experiences and best practices for co-regulation, self-care, and simple techniques to support vulnerable populations affected by the current crisis.
Managing Club Conflict: Strategies for High Performing Clubs
Led by S. Martin, a Rotary Peace Fellow (Chula ‘17) and Director of Global Partnerships for MBBI, this session addressed the ways Rotary clubs can recognize internal and external conflict and best tips to manage conflict when it arises.
Avenues To Become Engaged
- Peace Conversation Facilitation (PCF) program launched by MBBI–LA Regional Group in partnership with Rotary district 5280 – seeking MBBI members who are experienced dialog Facilitators for coaching with Rotarians around the world.
- Rotary World Peace Conference 2020
- 2019 Bali International Peace Congress Co-Sponsored by Rotary Districts 3410 and 3420
- MBBI Partners With Rotary To Bring Local Solutions For Lasting Peace
- Signed Memorandums of Understanding (MOU).
- Developed, with Rotary, the Peace Conversation Facilitation (PCF) program in District 5280 and now has a Replication turnkey package available for other Districts.
- Attended and presented at many Clubs, District Conferences, Zone Institutes, Peace Conferences, and RI Conventions (including in 2016).
- Developed a Peace Synergist volunteer position for Rotary Peace Fellows and other Rotarian peacebuilders as adjuncts to MBBI Project Teams and Working Groups. 12 Peace Synergists have been involved, with several playing leading roles in joint work
- Delivered training for over 2000 Rotarians at breakout sessions during Rotary Conventions and Peace Conferences since 2014
- On a trajectory launched in a 2013 meeting in Istanbul with PRIP Luis Giay, and in conjunction with Rotary Clubs, Districts, and TRF, MBBI and Rotary have successfully partnered to conduct two International Training Institutes (IPTI) for women peacebuilders implemented through unique VTTs in Southeast Asia, the Andean Region, and the Middle East and North Africa regions.
- Spoken about peace and conflict resolution/prevention at scores of Rotary clubs throughout the world. The presentation developed for these talks includes information on the history and current peacebuilding work in Rotary as well as MBBI’s complementary approach to its work.
- MBBI members are also active Rotarians and hold positions of leadership in Clubs, Districts, and international Rotary bodies such as the RAGFP and the ICC. There are others who are also Peace Fellow alumni. These MBB—RI peacebuilders have helped clubs and districts develop peace committees and action plans. In District 5280, the peace committee is holding a training lead by MBBI trainer/ Peace Fellow for Club Peace Chairs on how to conduct facilitation in their club of “difficult conversations” on such topics as human trafficking. MBBI has been requested to replicate this model in other Rotary Districts.
- District 5020 February 2020 Newsletter. Make sure to read pages 20-25!
- Click here to read and download MBBI's presentation at the 2022 Rotary Convention in Houston: Climate, Equity and Environment – Opportunities for Collaboration & PeaceBuilding