“Of 31 major peace processes between 1992 and 2011 (…) only 4 percent of signatories, 2.4 percent of chief mediators, 3.7 percent of witnesses and 9 percent of negotiators are women.”- UN Women, Women’s Participation in Peace Negotiations: Connections between Presence and Influence, 2012
To address this statistic, and implement United Nations Security Council Resolution (UNSCR1325) on Women, Peace, and Security, Mediators Beyond Borders International (MBBI) seeks to increase the number of women mediators and peacebuilders engaging in peace processes. It achieves this by conducting International Peace Training Institutes (IPTIs) in multiple regions across the globe.
Women In Mediation Updates
- Delivering A CSW63 Workshop on Women and Mediation
- MBBI partners with Rotary International for the upcoming International Peace Training Institute in Lagos, Nigeria
- Project Highlight: IPTI Women Instilling Truth and Building Relationships in Southeast Asia and Eastern Europe
- Project Highlight: Transformative Stories of Women Mediators
- How to Support Women in Mediation and Peace Negotiations
- MBBI to Holds Women in Mediation IPTI in Bogota, Colombia
- MBBI Delighted to Announce Partnership with Project Kesher to Deliver Women in Mediation IPTI in Minsk, Belarus
- Women As Half of Every Community, Women Must Be Half of Every Solution
- MBB in partnership with TIDES, Belfast offers a unique international training experience in Northern Ireland
- Equip women to contribute to peace negotiations and to lead civil society efforts to hold institutions and non-state actors accountable for sustainable peace and development
- Empower women to transform their communities by capitalizing on the successes of other nations that have emerged from conflict
- Support women to lead a range of conflict resolution and transformation processes
- Build networks to leverage the efforts of each and to attain a sustained women’s community of practice connected internally
- Increase peacebuilding projects in the participants’ home countries that improve conditions and involve more women in creating social change
MBBI convenes community and civil society leaders who seek to support a gendered approach to peacebuilding. The 12-month program for each cohort emphasizes:
Connecting and complementing:
Women in mediation projects:
Globally, women are positioned to influence social change as never before. Political turmoil and transition, and the upheaval of conflict are painful without a doubt, and many challenges lie ahead. But with skillful, continual participation, women can transform their regions into more vibrant, inclusive societies with sustainable peace and development. MBBI positions women to make this kind of impact.
Meet our community of practitioners and facilitators here.
Meet our global cohorts here:
MBBI’s 2016 IPTI, supported by Rotary International, AAA-IDCR Foundation, and Women International Leaders of Greater Philadelphia took place in Jakarta, Indonesia, from July 16-24, 2016.
For media coverage of the event, check out these links: International NGO Calls for Peace Through Mediation. The Jakarta Post, 25 July 2016 and Rotarian Promotes Peace at the Grass Roots. Rotarian Magazine, July 2016.
Additional references: Building Capacities for Mediation Among Women in Asia, 7 May 2015, APWAPs
Women In Mediation BrochureMBBI-Women-in-Mediation-Brochure-2018
For more information, contact us at email@example.com.