MBBI’s United Nations Multilateral Working Group (UNMWG) was created in response to the United Nations’ (UN) request for civil society to help build its mediation capacity. The UNMWG fosters partnerships with UN programs in an effort to support their mediation capacity-building efforts, advocates for the use and value of mediation in the UN system, and engages MBBI membership in collaborating with and supporting the UN.
MBBI holds Special NGO Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) which provides MBBI with access to ECOSOC and other aspects of UN. MBBI is part of the UN’s Nongovernmental Organization (NGO) Major Group—a UN-recognized mechanism for NGOs to participate in and give feedback on UN activities. MBBI is also a member of the Peace Cluster-a thematic-based subset within the NGO Major Group.
The Peace Cluster is focused on the 2019 review of Sustainable Development Goal 16—which promotes peace, justice, and inclusive societies. The Peace Cluster convenes peacebuilding, mediation, and conflict resolution-focused organizations to synthesize their recommendations to ECOSOC.
For more information, please contact the UNMWG Chair, Erik Steinecker, Esq. at email@example.com.
- Delivering a workshop at CSW63 on Women and Mediation
- MBBI a CSW62 – Women Using Technology to Advance Agency, Advocacy, Capacity, & Peace
- MBBI at CSW61 – Peacebuilding Beyond 2017: Women as Agents of Change
- MBBI’s Abstract of The Risk of Conflicts Over Natural Resources in an Era of Climate Vulnerability (p.423 of the 2017 International Conference on Sustainable Development)
- Strengthening the United Nations: Toward a “Conflict Revolution”
- MBB at CSW58
MBBI-UNMWG Coordinating Committee
- Erik Steinecker, Esq, Chair
- Estera Borcsa, Chair, SDG Action Group
- Archana Medhekar, Co-Chair, SDG Action Group – HLPF 2019
- Dee Knapp, Co-Chair, SDG Action Group – HLPF 2019
- Jefferey Sewell, Chair, Global Compact Action Group
- Mina Vaish, Co-Chair, CSW Action Group
- Mary Leichliter, Co-Chair, CSW Action Group
UNMWG Action Groups
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGAG)
The SDGAG supports the implementation of the UN’s Global Agenda 2030 (also known as Sustainable Development Goals-SDGs). In 2017, the SDGSC drafted and submitted MBBI’s Statement to the High-Level Political Forum (July 2017) and attended the HLPF meetings. Members of MBBI’s delegation observed Voluntary National Reviews and attended the parallel forum on business and partnership.
- MBBI’s SDG Action Group co-created the Position Paper of the Non-Governmental Organizations Major Group, High-Level Political Forum 2018
- Concept Note NGO Major Group Side Event at the HLPF 2018. An NGO Toolbox to Enhance Implementation of the 2030 Agenda Towards Sustainable and Resilient Communities
- UNMWG Understanding, SDG 16 Plus for Peaceful, Just & Inclusive Pakistan PJN
- MBBI Statement Submitted to HLPF: Early Parenting and Early Child Care and Education to Break the Inter-Generational Dimension of Poverty
Global Compact (GCAG)
The UN Global Compact is a voluntary initiative based on CEO commitments to implement universal sustainability principles and to take steps to support UN goals. The GCAG has the primary objective of outreach to UN Global Compact signatories to find ways MBBI and MBBC can support them as they look to advance the SDGs.
MBBI represents regional and sub-national groups in supporting the implementation of the SDGs in the private sector. MBBI, through its consultancy, MBBC, trains groups in mediation skills that help stakeholders achieve the SGDs.
Commission on the Status of Women (CSWAG)
MBBI has attended every CSW since 2012. Annually, twenty delegates participate in CSWs to represent MBBI. In 2017, for the first time, MBBI hosted a Parallel Event at the Church Center for the United Nations, on Peacebuilding Beyond 2017: Women as Agents of Change. The event featured Hillary Linton, Raihal Fajri, Prabha Sankaranarayan, Jill Strauss, Maria Volpe, and Vicki Isler, Esq. and highlighted the exceptional work of women mediators and leaders in peacebuilding, conflict resolution and prevention, education, and partnerships. MBBI has hosted and co-sponsored several events and side-events at CSWs since then.
- MBBI Statement to the Commission on the Status of Women 63 (March 2019)
- MBBI Statement to the Commission on the Status of Women 62 (March 2018)
- MBBI Statement to the Commission on the Status of Women 61 (March 2017)
- MBBI Statement to the Commission on the Status of Women 60 (March 2016)
MBBI’s Climate Change Policy Project is also actively engaged with the work of the United Nations, check out their work here.
MBBI at the UN’s Group of Friends of Mediation event